Joomla gallery extension by joomlashine.com
M & M Associates
Barry D. Bateman
RANGE OF EXPERIENCE
Barry Bateman is a senior strategic change, process improvement and organization design specialist with over 35 years of experience across many industries. Mr. Bateman has deep expertise in leading and managing large-scale change projects. In both internal and external consulting roles he has led or consulted on over 25 large-scale transformations within Fortune 500 companies, multinational/multilateral institutions, and the federal government. Mr. Bateman is also an active participant in driving innovation in the field of strategic change. His project work has been showcased in books and videos on organization design and business transformation and his research on the use of large group methods for driving large-scale change was published in the 2010 volume of Research in Organizational Change and Development (ROCD) by Emerald Books.
PROFESSIONAL AND BUSINESS HISTORY
2011 to 2013 PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP - Tampa, Fl - Director
· Barry returned to PwC as a Director in the Advisory Services practice in 2011, focusing on client service, project and proposal oversight, and implementation of change management, organization design and business transformation projects. In 2011 he established and led the PMO for one of the largest banking projects in PwC’s history, which grew to over 300 consultants. In 2012 he worked with senior executives at a Connecticut-based healthcare organization to create strategic alignment and oversee change management, communications and knowledge transfer for a large ERP project that spans human resources, finance, and supply-chain implementations. Until his retirement from the firm in April, 2013, Barry also provided strategic communications and change management advisory services to senior executives at one of the nation’s largest wireless communications to improve their performance for their largest customer. Barry worked with both companies in this outsourcing engagement – service provider and customer – to create a roadmap for change as well as the overall transformation communications strategy.
2006 to 2011 The Sapience Group - Washington, D.C., Managing Partner
· From 2006 to 2011, Mr. Bateman was Managing Partner of Sapience Organizational Consulting, involved in a variety of engagements, most particularly in healthcare. He was retained as senior advisor and lead consultant on projects at New York City’s largest hospital system and in 2009 completed a joint IT/organizational innovation assessment at the largest healthcare system in Minnesota and at UNITE-HERE, an international union. In 2010 he consulted to the National Institute of Mental Health to redesign their approach to communication of research findings to various stakeholders and the public-at-large and to the Director of Intramural Research at NIMH on improving the division’s effectiveness.
· As Managing Partner at Sapience, Mr. Bateman provided guidance, consultation, and thought-leadership on a four year transformation of a large healthcare system in Omaha, Nebraska, which involved the strategic and operational integration of the organization's hospitals, physician practices, clinics and labs. When Sapience was first engaged with the client their national rating on a highly respected measure of patient outcomes and provider quality was in the mid-200s. In 2009, they displaced Mayo clinic as #1 nationally, reducing costs and increasing revenues at levels not ever seen before in their business. In addition, by utilizing a series of large-scale, strategic decision forums that involved many of the organization’s physicians, nurses and administrators as well as external stakeholders, the organization was 'knit together', creating a highly innovative and collaborative culture. In 2010 the project became a topic of research at the University of Southern California’s CEO Institute.
· In 2007 Mr. Bateman was retained as an adviser on change impact and strategy related to the improvement of engagement management for senior executives at a major US accounting and advisory services firm. In this role he was designated as lead consultant for organization design, change strategy and implementation planning activities related to the planning, design and implementation stages of a new on-line system for managing the full lifecycle of engagements. In this role he advised the firm on all issues related to stakeholder planning and management, readiness assessment, change impact analysis, communications, and solution design for the system's implementation across the firm.
· As senior consultant and strategic advisor, Mr. Bateman led a major merger and integration process of five separate business groups within the U.S. Department of Interior’s National Business Center. This project was a critical element of the government’s strategy to implement an Acquisition Line of Business within the Interagency Franchise Fund (IFF), which permits competitive services to be established within and across the federal space. The purpose of the merger was to create a Center of Excellence Shared Services Operation. Mr. Bateman led the consulting team responsible to support the GovWorks directorate, and was executive coach to the senior client and steering committee responsible for the project.
2003 to 2006 SiloSmashers, Inc., Vienna, VA - Director, Business Transformation
Responsible for leading and managing large-scale business transformations. Served in a business development, client relationship management and quality assurance role for the firm. Responsibilities included developing and supervising other consultants, providing project oversight and conducting mid-course and post-project reviews. Project work included:
1998 - 2002 PricewaterhouseCoopers, New York, NY Director, Strategic Change
Multi-role position included leading a cross-industry organization strategy practice, providing client service, client-relationship management and project management of transformation projects. Worked across all major industry groups. Project work included:
1994 - 1998 World Bank Washington, DC Sr (External) Advisor
As an external consultant and senior advisor, Mr. Bateman provided project leadership, guidance and consultation to the Bank’s executive leadership team, primarily the SVP Operations, on a five-year organizational transformation effort.
Trained and led consulting teams established to redefine the bank's mission and guiding principles, reengineer business processes, and create a new business model and high-level matrix structure. Helped establish the Bank’s knowledge management function as well as a strategy for aligning IT to the Bank’s mission and goals.
Led project to redesign the Bank's procurement function, policies, IT systems, and processes. This project involved the integration of 19 separate procurement systems and subsequent requirements analysis which led to the Bank's first SAP implementation. Other projects related to SAP included performing a change impact and readiness assessment that identified over 70 areas which would be impacted by the implementation of SAP.
Provided personal coaching and consultation to senior executives as well as to several reengineering teams established to analyze and improve specific business processes. Projects included reengineering and redesign of operations, loan provisioning, procurement, treasury and resource management functions.
1989 – 1994 Block, Petrella, Weisbord, Inc. Plainfield, NJ Vice President/Partner
As a Partner at BPW, which was considered to be one of the best boutique organizational design and development firms in the US for over twenty years, Mr. Bateman provided practice leadership, led sales efforts and managed client accounts for Fortune 500 firms. Projects included:
· Transformational redesign of four separate business units within a large US health insurance firm, including requirements definition for new technology (IT) systems to support the redesigned businesses.
· Project manager and lead consultant for redesign of several business units within one of the world's largest chemical manufacturers. Helped create strategies leading to implementation of high performance organizations that vastly outperformed legacy organizations.
· Led two-year project involving simultaneous startups of twin electronics manufacturing facilities for global aerospace firm. Integrated organizational and physical facility design to create accelerated startup and production. Plants exceeded production yield goals within 9 months of startup.
· Business transformation of one of the world's premier global financial services and credit card companies. Featured in Business Week and other business publications as one of the first examples of true 'customer-facing' organizations within the US. Primary customer quality measures improved over 1500% with cost reductions exceeding $25M in the first year alone.
1985 – 1989 Barry Bateman & Associates, Minneapolis, MN
· Independent organizational consultant to firms such as 3M, Honeywell, Unisys, Cargill, Health One, IDS Financial Services, Pillsbury, and Dial Corp. Specialized in helping companies establish high performance operations.
1980 - 1985 Sperry Computer Systems, St. Paul, mn
Director, Organizational Planning and Development
· Was responsible for planning and implementing five-year strategic transformation of computer manufacturing firm. Provided expertise to redesign "cradle to grave" process for managing large programs and contracts (100M+). Created new organizational concept for materials management, reducing procurement costs by $25M per year. Directed redesigns of manufacturing facilities, removing bottlenecks in operations, increasing yields by over 80% and reducing scrap by over 50%. Consulted on start-up of two new high-performance plants. Trained and led team of 25 internal and external consultants. Instituted and directed company’s annual Quality of Worklife survey.
PROFESSIONAL AND BUSINESS AFFILIATIONS
Corporate and multilateral clients have included: Ace Insurance Group, Alegent Healthcare, American Express, AT&T, Aetna Insurance, AIG Insurance, Avon, Baptist Healthcare, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Cargill , Columbia House, Delta Airlines , Dial , Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette , Exxon, Fairview Healthcare Systems, First Bank Systems , The Gap, General Electric, General Mills, Hartford Healthcare, Highmark Insurance, Honeywell, IBM, IDS Financial Services, IFC, INTELSAT, Johnson & Johnson, Kaiser Steel , Landis & Gyr Powers, Merck, Monsanto, Northstar Steel, Norwest Bank, NYU Medical Center, Phillips Electronics, Pillsbury/Grand Met, Pitney-Bowes, Proctor & Gamble , Prudential Insurance, Rohm & Haas , Sappi, Scudder-Kemper Investments, Simon & Schuster, Software Engineering Institute, St. Paul Companies, 3M Corporation, US Bank, Unisys, UNITE-HERE, US Steel, Warner-Lambert, and the World Bank.
Federal Government clients have included: National Institute of Mental Health, Pension Benefits Guaranty Corporation, Department of Commerce Office of Acquisition, General Services Administration Office of Government Policy, Department of Interior Acquisition Services Directorate and NASA Policy and Administration.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
Masters Level Two-year Program for Specialists in Organization Development, NTL Institute for Applied Behavioral Sciences, Washington, D.C.
BS, Organizational Development & Communications, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Art or Artist: An Analysis of Eight Large-Group Methods for Driving Large-Scale Change (in Research in Organizational Change and Development Volume 18, 2010; Pasmore, Shami, and Woodman, Editors, Emerald Books, Bingley, UK)
How IDS Financial Services Transformed Itself (In Super-Leadership: Leading Others to Lead Themselves,Charles Manz and Henry Sims, authors, Chapter 11,Berrett-Koehler Publishers, San Francisco, 1987)
Integrating Organizational and Architectural Design, National Conference of Facilities Planners, Chicago, IL
Implementing Large Scale Change and Organizational Transformation, ODN Annual Conference, Boston, MA.
Application of Sociotechnical Design in Office Environments, National Organizational Development Network Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
Large Scale Change at Sperry Computer Systems, 1st National Conference on Organization Transformation, Boston, MA.
Creating Customer-Focused Teams at IDS Financial Services, US Ecology of Work Conference, Chicago, IL.
Creating High Performance at Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Maryland, National Organizational Development Network Annual Conference, Philadelphia, PA
Accelerating Sociotechnical Design: A Five-Step Model, STS Roundtable, Banff, Canada.
Creating the Chaordic Organization, STS Roundtable, Albuquerque, NM
Applying Principles of Chaos Theory to Organization Design, International Ecology of Work Conference, Dublin, Ireland.
Fast Cycle Design: Redesigning the Mission and Purpose of the World Bank, International Conference on Large-Scale Change, Dallas, TX